a : deep-seated usually mutual ill will
b (1) : hostile action (2) plural : overt acts of warfare : war
: conflict, opposition, or resistance in thought or principle
Examples of HOSTILITY
- They were both glad to have gotten through the divorce proceedings without any visible signs of hostility.
- The townspeople showed open hostility to outsiders.
- Peace talks were stalled after recent hostilities.
- Both sides are calling for a cessation of hostilities.
First Known Use of HOSTILITY
Related to HOSTILITY
- animosity, animus, antagonism, antipathy, bad blood, bitterness, gall, grudge, enmity, jaundice, rancor
See Synonym Discussion at enmity
Rhymes with HOSTILITY
hos·til·i·ty noun \hä-ˈstil-ət-ē\ (Medical Dictionary)
Learn More About HOSTILITY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up hostility? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).