frus·tra·tion noun \(ˌ)frəs-ˈtrā-shən\
: a feeling of anger or annoyance caused by being unable to do something : the state of being frustrated
: something that causes feelings of anger and annoyance : something that frustrates someone
: the act of preventing the success of something : the act of frustrating something
a : the state or an instance of being frustrated
b : a deep chronic sense or state of insecurity and dissatisfaction arising from unresolved problems or unfulfilled needs
Examples of FRUSTRATION
- He shook his head in frustration.
- These bureaucratic delays have been causing us a lot of frustration.
- These delays have proven to be a major frustration.
- We've been experiencing a lot of frustrations.
- He was angry about the frustration of his plans.
First Known Use of FRUSTRATION
Related to FRUSTRATION
- aggravation, aggro [British], bother, botheration, bugbear, exasperation, annoyance, hair shirt, hassle, headache, inconvenience, irk, irritant, nuisance, peeve, pest, rub, ruffle, thorn, trial, vexation
- content, contentedness, contentment, gratification, satisfaction
Rhymes with FRUSTRATION
, C ration
, earth station
, gas station
, space station
, way station
frus·tra·tion noun \(ˌ)frəs-ˈtrā-shən\ (Medical Dictionary)
: a deep chronic sense or state of insecurity and dissatisfaction arising from unresolved problems or unfulfilled needs
: something that frustrates
Learn More About FRUSTRATION
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up frustration? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).