ex·cep·tion·al adjective \ik-ˈsep-shnəl, -shə-nəl\
: not usual : unusual or uncommon
: unusually good : much better than average
: mentally or physically disabled
: forming an exception : rare <an exceptional number of rainy days>
: better than average : superior <exceptional skill>
: deviating from the norm: as
a : having above or below average intelligence
b : physically disabled
— ex·cep·tion·al·i·ty \-ˌsep-shə-ˈna-lə-tē\ noun
— ex·cep·tion·al·ness noun
Examples of EXCEPTIONAL
- We're bending the rules for this exceptional situation.
- an exceptional student in math
- The seafood dishes at this restaurant are exceptional.
- a separate school for exceptional children
First Known Use of EXCEPTIONAL
Related to EXCEPTIONAL
- aberrant, aberrated, abnormal, anomalous, atypical, especial, exceeding, extraordinaire, extraordinary, freak, odd, peculiar, phenomenal, preternatural, rare, singular, uncommon, uncustomary, unique, unusual, unwonted
- common, customary, normal, ordinary, typical, unexceptional, unextraordinary, usual
Learn More About EXCEPTIONAL
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up exceptional? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).