en·cour·age·ment noun \-ij-mənt, -rij-\
: the act of making something more appealing or more likely to happen
: something that makes someone more determined, hopeful, or confident
: something that makes someone more likely to do something
Examples of ENCOURAGEMENT
- Our aim is the encouragement of investment.
- the encouragement of plant growth
- teachers who give their students a lot of encouragement
- With support and encouragement from their parents, the students organized a fundraiser.
- They offered him gifts of money and other encouragements.
First Known Use of ENCOURAGEMENT
Related to ENCOURAGEMENT
- boost, impulse, goad, impetus, incentive, incitation, incitement, instigation, momentum, motivation, provocation, spur, stimulant, stimulus, yeast
- counterincentive, disincentive
Learn More About ENCOURAGEMENT
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up encouragement? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).