dis·tri·bu·tion noun \ˌdis-trə-ˈbyü-shən\
: the act of giving or delivering something to people
: the act of delivering something to a store or business
: the way that something is divided or spread out
a : the act or process of distributing
b : the apportionment by a court of the personal property of an intestate
a : the position, arrangement, or frequency of occurrence (as of the members of a group) over an area or throughout a space or unit of time
b : the natural geographic range of an organism
: the pattern of branching and termination of a ramifying structure (as a nerve)
: the marketing or merchandising of commodities
— dis·tri·bu·tion·al \-shnəl, -shə-nəl\ adjective
Examples of DISTRIBUTION
- The group collects food and clothing for distribution to needy families.
- The distribution of paychecks will happen every other Friday.
- The university does not permit distribution of leaflets on campus.
- She was responsible for product distribution.
- The company handles the distribution of goods to stores nationwide.
- He complained that the distribution of work was unfair.
- He studies the distributions of wildcats in North America.
- The new design provides better weight distribution.
First Known Use of DISTRIBUTION
Rhymes with DISTRIBUTION
dis·tri·bu·tion noun \ˌdis-trə-ˈbyü-shən\ (Medical Dictionary)
: the pattern of branching and termination of a ramifying anatomical structure (as a nerve or artery)
Learn More About DISTRIBUTION
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up distribution? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).