di·ag·nose verb \ˈdī-ig-ˌnōs, -ˌnōz, ˌdī-ig-ˈ, -əg-\
a : to recognize (as a disease) by signs and symptoms
b : to diagnose a disease or condition in <diagnosed the patient>
: to analyze the cause or nature of <diagnose the problem>
Examples of DIAGNOSE
- The test is used to help in diagnosing heart disease.
- Thousands of new cases have been diagnosed in the past year.
- The doctor was unable to diagnose the skin condition.
- a new doctor with little experience diagnosing patients
- The mechanic was unable to diagnose the problem.
Origin of DIAGNOSE
back-formation from diagnosis
First Known Use: circa 1859
Rhymes with DIAGNOSE
di·ag·nose verb \ˈdī-ig-ˌnōs, -ˌnōz, ˌdī-ig-ˈ, -əg-\ (Medical Dictionary)
: to recognize (as a disease) by signs and symptoms
: to diagnose a disease or condition in <diagnosed the patient>
Learn More About DIAGNOSE
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up diagnose? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).