: based on or established by custom
Examples of CUSTOMARY
- He forgot the customary “thank you.”
- It is customary to hold the door open for someone who is entering a building behind you.
- She dressed in her customary fashion.
- He did the work with his customary efficiency.
First Known Use of CUSTOMARY
Related to CUSTOMARY
- conventional, current, going, popular, prevailing, prevalent, standard, stock, usual
- nonstandard, unconventional, unpopular, unusual
See Synonym Discussion at usual
Learn More About CUSTOMARY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up customary? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).