a : a proposition, statement, or phrase that asserts or implies both the truth and falsity of something
b : a statement or phrase whose parts contradict each other <a round square is a contradiction in terms>
a : logical incongruity
b : a situation in which inherent factors, actions, or propositions are inconsistent or contrary to one another
Examples of CONTRADICTION
- No one was surprised by the defendant's contradiction of the plaintiff's accusations.
- Her rebuttal contained many contradictions to my arguments.
- There have been some contradictions in his statements.
- There is a contradiction between what he said yesterday and what he said today.
- Her statements are mired in contradiction.
- What he said yesterday is in direct contradiction to what he said today.
First Known Use of CONTRADICTION
Rhymes with CONTRADICTION
Learn More About CONTRADICTION
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up contradiction? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).