con·fu·sion noun \kən-ˈfyü-zhən\
: a situation in which people are uncertain about what to do or are unable to understand something clearly
: the feeling that you have when you do not understand what is happening, what is expected, etc.
: a state or situation in which many things are happening in a way that is not controlled or orderly
: an act or instance of confusing <confusion of the issue>
a : the quality or state of being confused <try to relieve their confusion>
b : a confused mass or mixture <a confusion of voices>
— con·fu·sion·al \-ˈfyüzh-nəl, -ˈfyü-zhə-nəl\ adjective
Examples of CONFUSION
- There is still some confusion as to the time of the meeting.
- There is a great deal of confusion about how the system works.
- the anxieties and confusions of teenage life
- He stared in confusion and disbelief.
- There was total confusion when the truck hit the restaurant.
First Known Use of CONFUSION
Related to CONFUSION
- bafflement, bamboozlement, befuddlement, bemusement, bewilderedness, bewilderment, confusedness, discombobulation, distraction, fog, head-scratching, maze [chiefly dialect], muddle, mystification, perplexity, puzzlement, tangle, whirl
- order, orderliness
Rhymes with CONFUSION
con·fu·sion noun \kən-ˈfyü-zhən\ (Medical Dictionary)
Learn More About CONFUSION
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up confusion? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).