co·in·ci·dence noun \kō-ˈin(t)-sə-dən(t)s, -sə-ˌden(t)s\
: a situation in which events happen at the same time in a way that is not planned or expected
: the occurrence of two or more things at the same time
: the state of two or more things being the same
: the occurrence of events that happen at the same time by accident but seem to have some connection; also : any of these occurrences
Examples of COINCIDENCE
- It was mere coincidence that brought them together so far from Chicago.
- By coincidence, every man in the room was named Fred.
- “I'm going to Boston this weekend.” “What a coincidence! I am too.”
- It was no coincidence that he quit his job at the bank a day after the robbery.
- a series of strange coincidences
- By a fortunate coincidence, we arrived at the theater at the same time.
- Scientists have no explanation for the coincidence of these phenomena.
First Known Use of COINCIDENCE
Learn More About COINCIDENCE
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up coincidence? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).