: arousing competitive interest, thought, or action <a challenging course of study>
Examples of CHALLENGING
- I find the job challenging and fun.
- Teaching is challenging but rewarding work.
- It's a challenging book that requires careful reading.
- The slope was challenging for even the most experienced climbers.
First Known Use of CHALLENGING
Related to CHALLENGING
- arduous, Augean, backbreaking, hard, demanding, difficult, effortful, exacting, formidable, grueling (or gruelling), heavy, hellacious, herculean, killer, laborious, moiling, murderous, pick-and-shovel, rigorous, rough, rugged, severe, stiff, strenuous, sweaty, tall, testing, toilsome, tough, uphill
- cheap, easy, effortless, facile, light, mindless, simple, soft, undemanding
Learn More About CHALLENGING
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up challenging? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).