a : endowed with life or the qualities of life : alive
b : full of movement and activity <an animated crowd>
c : full of vigor and spirit : lively <an animated discussion>
: having the appearance of something alive <an unusually animated piece of sculpture>
: made in the form of an animated cartoon <an animated film>
— an·i·mat·ed·ly adverb
Examples of ANIMATED
- She gave an animated description of the project.
- After dinner, the discussion got more animated.
- Many movies for kids are animated rather than live-action.
First Known Use of ANIMATED
Related to ANIMATED
- active, airy, animate, lively, bouncing, brisk, energetic, frisky, gay, jaunty, jazzy, kinetic, mettlesome, peppy, perky, pert, pizzazzy (or pizazzy), racy, snappy, spanking, sparky, spirited, sprightly, springy, vital, vivacious, zippy
- dead, inactive, inanimate, lackadaisical, languid, languishing, languorous, leaden, lifeless, limp, listless, spiritless, vapid
See Synonym Discussion at lively
Other Performing Arts Terms
Rhymes with ANIMATED
an·i·mat·ed adjective \-ˌmāt-əd\ (Medical Dictionary)
: endowed with life or the qualities of life
: full of movement and activity
Learn More About ANIMATED
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up animated? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).