: the part of day between noon and sunset
: a relatively late period (as of time or life) <in the afternoon of the 19th century>
— afternoon adjective
Examples of AFTERNOON
- morning, afternoon, evening, and night
- I'll see you again tomorrow afternoon.
- It was early afternoon when I left.
- She spent the afternoon at the library.
- I remember the many rainy afternoons I spent reading at the library.
- She doesn't have class on Friday afternoons.
- It took us all afternoon to get there.
- It's going to be a long afternoon listening to lectures.
First Known Use of AFTERNOON
Rhymes with AFTERNOON
, call the tune
, greasy spoon
, harvest moon
, silver spoon
Learn More About AFTERNOON
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up afternoon? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).