: far on in time or course <a man advanced in years>
a : being beyond others in progress or ideas <tastes a bit too advanced for the times>
b : being beyond the elementary or introductory <advanced chemistry>
c : greatly developed beyond an initial stage <the most advanced scientific methods> <advanced weapons systems>
d : much evolved from an early ancestral type <bees and other advanced insects> <advanced traits>
Examples of ADVANCED
- The school has courses for elementary, intermediate, and advanced students.
- The book explains both basic and advanced techniques.
- The system has many advanced features.
- The disease is in an advanced stage.
- an advanced form of cancer
First Known Use of ADVANCED
Related to ADVANCED
- developed, evolved, forward, high, higher, improved, late, progressive, refined
- backward, low, lower, nonprogressive, primitive, retarded, rude, rudimentary, undeveloped
Learn More About ADVANCED
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up advanced? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).