noun ac·com·pa·ni·ment \ə-ˈkəm-pə-nē-mənt, -ˈkəmp-nē-\
: music played to support a person who is singing or playing a musical instrument
: something that is added to another thing to make it better or more appealing; especially : something added to or served with food or a meal
: something that is done or that happens at the same time as something else
: an instrumental or vocal part designed to support or complement a melody
Examples of ACCOMPANIMENT
- She sings without musical accompaniment.
- A nice tie was a fine accompaniment to his new suit.
- This dish can be served as an accompaniment to most meat main dishes.
- This wine is a good accompaniment for spicy foods.
- She studied Italian as an accompaniment to her classes in art history.
First Known Use of ACCOMPANIMENT
Other Music Terms
: music played in support of someone singing or playing an instrument
Learn More About ACCOMPANIMENT