autistic

1 of 2

adjective

au·​tis·​tic ȯ-ˈti-stik How to pronounce autistic (audio)
: of, relating to, or marked by autism or autism spectrum disorder
autistic behavior
autistic children
autistically adverb

autistic

2 of 2

noun

: an individual affected with autism or autism spectrum disorder

Examples of autistic in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the Web
Adjective
In a letter last month from a Shrub Oak attorney to the watchdog organizations, the school said investigators were unqualified to observe or understand autistic students. Jennifer Smith Richards, ProPublica, 31 May 2024 While roughly 26% of children with autism are profoundly impacted, often intellectually disabled, some experts argue that the remaining 74% should not be disqualified from joining the military just for being autistic. John Donvan, ABC News, 2 May 2024
Noun
Shaun and Charlie butt heads frequently in the early episodes, but there are also a few moments where Charlie is able to understand her fellow autistic and help him out. Sarah Kurchak, TIME, 23 May 2024 There have been too many stories of autistics violently arrested and even killed by law enforcement. Marie Myung-Ok Lee, New York Times, 9 Mar. 2024 See all Example Sentences for autistic 

These examples are programmatically compiled from various online sources to illustrate current usage of the word 'autistic.' Any opinions expressed in the examples do not represent those of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback about these examples.

Word History

Etymology

Adjective

aut(ism) + -istic, after German autistisch

Note: See note at autism.

Noun

derivative of autistic entry 1

First Known Use

Adjective

1942, in the meaning defined above

Noun

1965, in the meaning defined above

Time Traveler
The first known use of autistic was in 1942

Dictionary Entries Near autistic

Cite this Entry

“Autistic.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/autistic. Accessed 22 Jun. 2024.

Medical Definition

autistic

1 of 2 adjective
au·​tis·​tic ȯ-ˈtis-tik How to pronounce autistic (audio)
: of, relating to, or marked by autism or autism spectrum disorder
the autistic community
autistic children

autistic

2 of 2 noun
: a person with autism or autism spectrum disorder

More from Merriam-Webster on autistic

Last Updated: - Updated example sentences
Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!