fibrodysplasia ossificans progressivanoun
Medical Definition of fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva
: a rare hereditary disorder that is characterized by the progressive ossification of muscle and connective tissue and that is inherited as an autosomal recessive trait Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva in humans appears to be the only known example of a naturally occurring genetic disorder of osteogenesis that is associated with overexpression of a bone morphogenetic protein.— Adam B. Shafritz et al., New England Journal of Medicine, 22 Aug. 1996
— called also stone man syndrome
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game