Higher Education ActLaw
20 U.S.C. § 1001 et seq. | (1965)
Legal Definition of Higher Education Act
provided needs-based scholarships and loans for undergraduates and authorized a National Teachers Corps. Citing “the appalling frequency with which a student is presently forced to forgo the opportunity of [higher] education because of inability to meet the costs,” a Democratic Congress passed the bill as part of President Lyndon B. Johnson's Great Society Program. The Act signaled a transition from institutional assistance to individual student aid.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game