Jobs


Search Engine Optimization SpecialistApply Now

Department: Digital Marketing

NYC, Union Square

Job Summary

We are looking for a creative and detail-oriented Search Engine Optimization Specialist to join our team and manage all search engine optimization initiatives for Merriam-Webster.com and Britannica.com websites. As an SEO Specialist, your knowledge will go beyond keyword optimization and meta tags. You will be responsible for analyzing performance and managing all SEO activities such as content strategy, link building, and keyword strategy to increase page rankings on all major search networks. You will work closely with the business leaders to identify key initiatives and build on the successful traffic growth trajectory.

Key Responsibilities:
  • 75% of your responsibility will focus on the growth of organic search to Merriam-Webster (M-W) while the remaining 25% will focus on organic search to Britannica.com (EB).

For Merriam-Webster:

  • Responsible for growth of organic search referrals to Merriam-Webster.com (M-W).
  • Identifies opportunities for improving M-W search positioning. Monitors and reports on changes to the competitive landscape.
  • Works directly with Editorial to maximize SEO benefit of dictionary updates. Evaluates search performance of dictionary entries.
  • Works with Content Manager to identify new subject areas for engagement content development and track and optimize performance of engagement content.
  • Manages the technical SEO roadmap. Works directly with Product and Tech teams to deliver continuous site improvements.
  • Stays up-to-date on SEO trends. Reports critical developments to Senior Management and other SEO stakeholders.
  • Evaluates and reports on the results of all SEO efforts.

For Britannica:

  • Identifies opportunities for new search terms and popular topics with high traffic growth potential and partner with the SEO team to implement.
  • Monitors and reports on changes to the competitive landscape.
  • Compiles and presents SEO guidelines and best practices.

Job Requirements:

Qualifications:
  • Must have a minimum 5-7 years of SEO experience with a proven track record of delivering SEO improvements on a large scale for a high traffic website.
  • Experience managing long-tail search strategies and/or analyzing large data sets.
  • Have excellent communication skills. It’s the dictionary.
  • Be able to balance project management and analytic responsibilities. Strong organizational, time management, and analytical skills is critical to your success.
  • Outstanding ability to think creatively, strategically, and identify and resolve problems.
  • Be up for the challenge of working in a uniquely competitive SEO market.
  • Be open to learning and ready to innovate. Your typical SEO tricks aren’t going to work here.
  • Expert understanding of performance marketing, conversion, and online customer acquisition.
  • Expert knowledge with website analytics tools and optimization tools (e.g, Google Analytics, WebTrends, STAT, SEMRush, Screaming Frog, etc.).

About Encyclopædia Britannica.

For 250 years, the Encyclopædia Britannica name has been synonymous with reliable and trustworthy information for generations all over the world. Encyclopedia Britannica is one of the leading publishers in the reference categories and Britannica Digital Learning has a strong position in the K-12 library/reference markets by providing reliable high-quality classroom products and solutions for educators.

About Merriam-Webster, Inc.

For more than 175 years, in print and online, Merriam-Webster has been America's leading and most trusted publisher of language-related reference works. The Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary© is one of the best-selling books in American history.

Merriam-Webster's websites and apps garner over 2 billion visits annually, and the brand has won numerous awards and garnered extensive press coverage for its products and social media presence.