Definition of witchweed
: any of a genus (Striga) of yellow-flowered Old World plants of the snapdragon family that are damaging root parasites of grasses (such as sorghum and corn) and that include one (S. asiatica) which is an introduced pest in parts of the southeastern U.S.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game