wise upphrasal verb
wised up; wising up; wises up
Definition of wise up
1 : to become aware of what is really happening —often + to They finally wised up to the fact that they were being cheated.
2 : to start to think and act in a more intelligent way They could lose everything they have if they don't wise up.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game