Definition of vuvuzela
: a simple plastic noisemaker in the form of a straight trumpet usually between 2 and 3 feet in length that produces a single note and is used principally at sporting events An inexpensive plastic horn is to become the unofficial symbol of the football World Cup to be held in South Africa in 2010. … It is raucous, loud and reminiscent of a trumpeting elephant. It is the vuvuzela—a 60-centimeter, brightly colored plastic horn that has become both the sound and the symbol of South African football.— Delia Robertson, Voice of America News, 9 Aug. 2004
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game