tone downphrasal verb
toned down; toning down; tones down
Definition of tone down
1 : to make (something) less forceful, offensive, or harsh People will be more likely to listen to you if you tone down your language a little.
2 : to make (something) less bright or colorful She toned her wardrobe down for her new job.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game