Definition of taipan
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a powerful businessman and especially formerly a foreigner living and operating in Hong Kong or China
Definition of taipan (Entry 2 of 2)
: an exceedingly venomous elapid snake (Oxyuranus scutellatus) of northern Australia and New Guinea also : a related snake (O. microlepidotus)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game