Definition of star-of-Bethlehem
(Entry 1 of 2)
: any of various Old World bulbous herbs (genus Ornithogalum) of the lily family with basal leaves resembling grass especially : one (O. umbellatum) with white star-shaped flowers that is naturalized in the eastern U.S.
star of Bethlehemnoun phrase
Definition of star of Bethlehem (Entry 2 of 2)
: a star which according to Christian tradition guided the Magi to the infant Jesus in Bethlehem
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game