smarten upphrasal verb
smartened up; smartening up; smartens up
Definition of smarten up
1 US : to become more intelligent or aware : to become smarter He'd better smarten up or he'll get fired.
2 US : to make (someone or something) smarter or more aware Someone needs to smarten him up before he gets in trouble.
3 : to make (someone or something) neat and attractive They smartened themselves up for the party. They smartened up the room for the party.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game