outstay/overstay one's welcomeidiom
Definition of outstay/overstay one's welcome
: to be no longer welcome to stay in a place because one has stayed too long, been impolite, etc. As much as he has contributed to the company, he has outstayed his welcome and needs to go.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?