Definition of grumbling
1 : a mutter of discontent : complaint Operators of bars and restaurants, who hear the first-hand grumblings of customers on the boardwalk, tend to oppose the ordinance.— Kevin Robinson
2 : a growling or reverberating noise : rumbling On a shorter timescale, researchers and governments are working together to detect the first grumblings of an earthquake and alert communities that might be affected.— Eva Botkin-Kowacki
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?