the third degreenoun
Definition of the third degree
: a long and intense period of questioning The police gave him the third degree[=questioned him intensely]. Mom always gives me the third degree when I get home late. A micromanager who gives the third degree to anyone who makes even the smallest of mistakes.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game