Definition of epistemological
: of, relating to, or based on epistemology : relating to the study of the nature, origin, and limits of human knowledge the epistemological problem Critical realists could learn a little epistemological humility from philosophical pragmatism, the understanding … that, beyond the scale of immediate, non-controversial truth-statements, knowledge is indeed highly partial and fallible …— James D. Proctor Although epistemological and power differences between scientists and lay audiences remain, they can be offset through various kinds of collaboration.— Dawn J. Wright et al. How do we know that our holy books are free from error? Because the books themselves say so. Epistemological black holes of this sort are fast draining the light from our world.— Sam Harris
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game