eat (something) upidiom
Definition of eat (something) up
1 : to eat all of (something) Eat your dinner up before it gets cold.
2 : to use up (time, resources, etc.) This project has been eating up a large part of the budget. Your savings may be eaten up by inflation.
3 informal : to enjoy (something) greatly I thought the speech was stupid, but the audience ate it up.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?