Definition of damascene
(Entry 1 of 3)
1 capitalized : a native or inhabitant of Damascus
2 : the characteristic markings of Damascus steel
Definition of damascene (Entry 2 of 3)
Definition of damascene (Entry 3 of 3)
: to ornament (something, such as iron or steel) with wavy patterns like those of watered silk or with inlaid work of precious metals
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?