plural cocobolos also cocobolas
Definition of cocobolo
: the hard, heavy heartwood of any of various tropical American trees of the genus Dalbergia (especially Dalbergia retusa) that is typically yellowish-orange to reddish-brown in color When finished, it will be a 4-inch, drop-point fixed blade knife with a handle of cocobolo, a tropical wood also known as rosewood.— Jason Collins, The Victoria (Texas) Advocate, 21 Aug. 2006 In the sedate cocobolo-panelled dining room, serious men surrounded by decanters embark on elaborate tastings.— Leo Carey, The New Yorker, 30 May 2005 also : a timber tree yielding cocobolo
Keep scrolling for more
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game