Definition of brille
: a transparent, disc-shaped, immobile scale that covers the eye of most snakes and geckos Like snakes, geckos can't close their eyes, which are protected by a transparent scale, or brille (from the German for spectacles) that is regularly shed and replaced along with the skin.— Richard Milner, Natural History, November 2000
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?