at the bottom of the pileidiom
Definition of at the bottom of the pile
(Entry 1 of 2)
: in a low or very unimportant position The team finished the season at the bottom of the pile.
the bottom of the barrelnoun phrase
Definition of the bottom of the barrel (Entry 2 of 2)
: the lowest possible condition, level, etc. After the divorce, Tim felt he had reached/hit the bottom of the barrel. The excessive coverage of the scandal signals that the news media may have finally hit/reached the bottom of the barrel.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game