variants: or borlotti bean
plural borlotti or borlotti beans also borlottis
Definition of borlotti
: cranberry bean This store stocks a great variety of dried beans, from borlotti to garbanzos.— David Rosengarten, Wine Spectator, 28 Feb. 1995 Ask for cannellini or borlotti beans. The latter are fat, round, pinkish-brown in colour.— Elizabeth David, Italian Food, 1974
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game