Definition of backfist
: a punch thrown by a fighter with the back of the fist usually at the end of a quick spinning movement The instructor threw a backfist at three-quarter speed, but this time the student wasn't fast enough.— Dr. Thomas J. Nardi, MA Training, July 1995 The 39-year-old Le set the tone early …, landing a spinning backfist early in the first round that put Silva down. — Associated Press, 20 Nov. 2011
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game