Recent Examples of autism from the Web
In addition to his autism, Jayden also suffers from other health problems, KHOU reported.
The clinic is one of hundreds that have popped up across the country, many offering treatments for conditions from Parkinson’s disease to autism to multiple sclerosis.
What is Autism Courtesy of Saint Peter's Healthcare System Can your pet get autism from vaccinations?
Jenna Watson/IndyStar A father on the city’s south side accused his wife of feeding their child bleach to help cure her autism, according to a recent police report.
In two years, Kloo and others have coached more than 50 clients from 4 years old to 74, from stroke victims to people with autism to amputees and more.
There was particular praise for lead actor Freddie Highmore's thoughtful portrayal of Shaun Murphy, the savant surgical resident with autism.
Here are the individuals with open fundraising committees filed with the city: District 5: Arian Mohammad: A life-coach for young adults diagnosed with autism.
Upsets in one’s daily routine can become a sticking point to those with autism.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'autism.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
medical Definition of autism
- But more than 60 years after it was first identified, autism remains mystifying and stubbornly difficult to treat. About the only thing parents, doctors and policy makers agree on is that the best chance for autistic children to develop social and language skills is to enroll them in some type of intensive behavioral therapy.
- —Benedict Carey, The New York Times, 27 Dec. 2004
- Although the chief diagnostic signs of autism are social isolation, lack of eye contact, poor language capacity and absence of empathy, other less well known symptoms are commonly evident. Many people with autism have problems understanding metaphors, sometimes interpreting them literally. They also have difficulty miming other people's actions.
- —Vilayanur S. Ramachandran et al., Scientific American, November 2006
- In approximately 10% of patients, autism can be explained by genetic syndromes and known chromosomal anomalies …
- —Lauren A Weiss et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 14 Feb. 2008
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up autism? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).