at first sightidiom (1)
Definition of at first sight
(Entry 1 of 2)
: when first seen or considered It appears at first sight to be a simple matter of hiring more people.
at the sight ofidiom (2)
Definition of at the sight of (Entry 2 of 2)
: upon seeing He faints at the sight of blood.
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game