Definition of arsey
1 Australian slang : lucky I just cannot believe Parramatta won and we lost. We were a 10-point better side, they scored two arsey tries and we had two disallowed, which you could see for sure were OK.— Geoff Johnson, quoted in Sydney (Australia) Morning Herald, 2 Sept. 1991
2 British slang : maliciously spiteful, bad-tempered, or unreasonable When I told my girlfriend I was going for a drink with my flatmate, she got really arsey. — James Petherbridge, Daily Mirror (London), 11 Aug. 2001 He was just asking you a question and you have to come over all arsey.— Zadie Smith, White Teeth, 2000
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game