a shock to the/someone's systemidiom
Definition of a shock to the/someone's system
: something that has a sudden and usually unpleasant effect on someone The cold weather was a shock to my system after being in the tropics. For freshmen, college life can be a real shock to the system.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game