Definition of Zanzibar
Note: Zanzibar was formerly a sultanate. With Pemba and adjacent islands it formed a British protectorate. It became independent in 1963 and united with Tanganyika in 1964 to form Tanzania.
Note: The city of Zanzibar is the capital of the island and was formerly capital of the protectorate.
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game