Definition of Umbriel
: the third largest satellite of Uranus with a diameter of approximately 730 miles (1170 km) Earlier this year, Buratti and her co-workers reported other evidence suggesting that Umbriel might be a Uranian oddity. Analyzing photographs taken through various color filters by the Voyager 2 spacecraft, they found that the ratio of green light to violet light varies widely over Umbriel's surface. — Science News, 16 Nov. 1991
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?