Definition of Suriname
1 or formerly Dutch Guiana or Netherlands Guiana country in northern South America bordering on the Atlantic between Guyana and French Guiana; capital Paramaribo area 63,251 square miles (163,820 square kilometers), population 541,638
Note: Now a republic, Suriname was until 1975 a territory of the Netherlands.
2 river in northern Suriname flowing north into the Atlantic
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game