Scapa Flowgeographical name
Definition of Scapa Flow
sea basin in the Orkney Islands, northern Scotland, providing ship achorage protected by several of the islands and giving access to the North Sea and the Atlantic Ocean
Note: Scapa Flow was used as the base for the British fleet patrolling the North Sea during both world wars.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?