Scapa Flowgeographical name
Definition of Scapa Flow
sea basin in the Orkney Islands, northern Scotland, providing ship achorage protected by several of the islands and giving access to the North Sea and the Atlantic Ocean
Note: Scapa Flow was used as the base for the British fleet patrolling the North Sea during both world wars.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game