variants: or Middle West
Definition of Midwest
region of indefinite boundaries in the north central U.S. including the area around the Great Lakes and the upper Mississippi River valley —often considered to include the area from Michigan, Ohio, and sometimes Kentucky on the east to North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas on the west
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game