Definition of Latvia
independent country in north central Europe bordering on the Baltic Sea and indented by the Gulf of Riga; an independent republic 1918–40, a constituent republic ( the Lat*vi*an Republic \ ˈlat-vē-ən \ ) of the U.S.S.R. 1940–91; capital Riga area 24,595 square miles (63,701 square kilometers), population 2,070,371
see also latvian
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game