California scub jaynoun
variants: or California jay
Definition of California scub jay
: scrub jay sense a specifically : a scrub jay of a subspecies (Aphelocoma californica californica) native to coastal California and distinguished by a darker overall color and a blue head tinged with purple The Western scrub jay can be further divided into three forms (not yet separate species): the California scrub jay of the Pacific coast has contrasting dark blue-and-white plumage, with a prominent blue necklace on a streaked white throat … — Bill Fenimore, Salt Lake Tribune, 6 Nov. 2009
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?