Baeyer, vonbiographical name
Definition of Baeyer, von
(Entry 1 of 2)
Adolf 1835–1917 German chemist
Baeyer strain theorynoun
Bae·yer strain theory | \ bā(y)ə(r)-\
Definition of Baeyer strain theory (Entry 2 of 2)
: a theory in chemistry: the four valences of carbon are normally directed symmetrically in space making angles of 109° 28′ with one another and deflection of these directions produces strain in the molecule (as in the formation of rings)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game