Medical Dictionary

paralytic shellfish poisoning

noun paralytic shell·fish poisoning \-ˈshel-ˌfish-\


:  food poisoning that results from consumption of shellfish and especially 2-shelled mollusks (as clams, mussels, or scallops) contaminated with dinoflagellates causing red tide and that is characterized by paresthesia, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping, muscle weakness, and sometimes paralysis which may lead to respiratory failure
March 26, 2015
verdigris Hear it
A green deposit formed on some metals
Take a 3-minute break and test your skills!
How to use a word that (literally) drives some people nuts.
Test your vocab with our fun, fast game
Ailurophobia, and 9 other unusual fears